Monday, January 10, 2005

Oneiric 1 (The Moon Lantern)


Its paper skin, so tense and fragile,
holds the sublime power of unnatural
paleness.

The cold light from its
miniature heart whispers ultrasound
lullabies.

Round, it hangs from a
shelf, in still loneliness.

A moon lantern in the dark:

nothing but a half-sleep snapshot
in vivid haziness, a subliminal
message from dormant

realities.

A smooth and ghastly sphere,
it reigns through inexpressive eyes.
It smiles a red crayon line, in
paralyzed reassurance.

At once,
it cradles me
in incense-flavored
eeriness.

It's inanimate flattery through
my permeable brain;
and it keeps me enslaved,
voiceless,
and void-bound.

It's a countdown to innocence
as time rewinds its tape;

and a purple wave envelops me...

And I don't mind.


Copyright © 2005 Anna Piutti

,,,,subconscious,,,lantern,

3 comments:

stan said...

vivid imagry, nice structure.
Stan

P.D. Gourlais said...

I've wanted to comment on this one for a long time since you've discussed this poem in emails with me!

You bring such a beautiful personification to this object that I know you hold dear,

You give it a heart,

"miniature heart whispers ultrasound / lullabies." I love this for it echoes the beginning stages of life to me-- the moment when the fetus is imbued with a detectable heartbeat. :)

"it reigns through inexpressive eyes."

And still, I believe there's a very maternal feel to these lines,

"At once, / it cradles me".

It's almost as if it is producing a renaissance within the narrator,

"It's a countdown to innocence / as time rewinds its tape;"

or some magical rebirth.

Penso che è fantastico che tua zia ti ha dato questa lampada a incandescenza.

:)

Anna Piutti said...

Thank you so much for your comment!

This poem sprang from a vision, a recurring dream I used to have. I have no idea where it came from, but I felt as if the oneiric realm were connecting me to a different plane of reality. At the time, I didn't have the lamp I have today, nor did I own any objects which resembled it. When, two years after I wrote this poem, I was presented with an actual lantern, I was very happy. Sometimes, when I look at it, I am reminded of my own creation.

I really appreciate your feedback :).